I got this great recipe from a Southern Living cookbook called Everyday Meals. So easy and so delicious!
To make caramelized onions for soup:
2 extra large sweet onions
1 can chicken broth undiluted
1/4 c butter
Cut the onions in half then cut each half into 1/2 inch thick slices.
Combine onions, broth and butter in crock pot. Cover and cook on HIGH 6-7 hours. Separate the onions from the broth. Save the broth to use later in soup.
Don't skimp on the time you cook those onions. I tried to cut it short once, and the soup wasn't as good!
For Soup:
caramelized onions
1 can beef broth undiluted
1 can beef consomme, undiluted
2 cups water
1/8 tsp ground thyme OR 1/2 tsp dried thyme ( I didn't have dried thyme so I used about 1/8 ground...maybe a tad bit extra, just not too much!)
1/4 cup of broth from onions
large croutons
shredded Swiss cheese
Combine onions and next 4 ingredients in crock pot.
Cover and cook on HIGH 2 and 1/2 hours. Stir in 1/4 cup of the broth about a half hour before its done (I refrigerated it while the soup cooked and reheated in the microwave before adding it to soup)
Ladle soup into OVEN PROOF bowls and top evenly with croutons and cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Broil until cheese is melted. Serve.

No comments:
Post a Comment